Old September 17th 04, 04:10 PM
Dave Holford

BDK wrote:

In article j3s2d.21094$t61.421@clgrps13,
says...

Ok Slinky lovers...you may leave the room now.

This idea may just work and work well. We've all lain awake at nights
thinking how much better life would be if we just had a longer antenna.
A retractable/adjustable one is even better. Something you could adjust
to wavelength easily would just pure icing on the reception cake.

problem SOLVED

A super long metal retractable TAPE measure! These come in various
lengths. I accidently broke the end off my hundred footer yesterday and
that started the thought process. I also noticed that the replacement
tape 'ribbon' costs more than a brand new complete unit. Stupid.

A METRIC tape would be marked in ....wait....METERS. Quarter wave
length, half wave length? No Problem! This antenna has the measuring
means BUILT RIGHT IN!

I now just have to figure out how to get someone to hold the far end
while I'm at the radio...

mike

(now wondering if the whole world has already thought of this but
neglected to inform me.)

mike

I'm sure it would work pretty well, but they, as you already know, crack
pretty easily, so using it outdoors is a short term thing..

BDK

I seem to remember Collins used to market a dipole which basically
consisted of two tapes which I think were calibrated directly in
frequency.

Dave