Old September 17th 04, 07:41 PM
RHF

= = = (Dave) wrote in message
= = = m...

Hello All:
I have an Icom R71A, that I am using with a 300' (plus or
minus 10-20'). I have the antenna coming straight into the
house, hooked to a tentec antenna tuner and then to the
receiver. Both the receiver and the tuner are grounded.
I would like to get some ideas on how to reduce some of the
static and to boost the signal on some of the weaker stations.
All suggestions would be gratefull.
Dave

DAVID,

First - Buy the following items:
* One Hundred Feet (100 Ft) of Coax Cable
* Eight Foot (8 Ft) Ground Rod
* A so called Magnetic Long Wire Balun (MLB)
- Palomar "MLB" Magnetic Longwire Balun @ $50
http://www.palomar-engineers.com/MLB-1/mlb-1.html
- RF Systems Magnetic Longwire Balun (MLB) @ $60
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/1484.html
- WinRadio Long Wire Adapter @ $40
http://www.winradio.com/home/lwa.htm
http://www.grove-ent.com/WR0130.html
- The ICE 180 / ICE 182 @ $40 {My Choice}
Broadband Impedance Matching Units intended for use with HF
Lowband, Low-Noise Receiving Antennas.
ICE= http://tinyurl.com/38unr
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Produc...html#Beverage%
20Matching
- - Model 180A Shortwave Band Coverage: 1.5 - 30 MHz
- - Model 182A Medium & Shortwave Bands Coverage: 0.1 - 30 MHz
- Par Electronics EF-SWL (Use the MLB Only)
http://www.parelectronics.com/swl_end.htm

Second - Run the Coax from your Radio Shack 'location' along
the path of your current Long Wire Antenna. Account for any
up-leads and down-leads of the Coax Run. The Far-End of the
Coax Cable is the new starting point of your Antenna Element.
Install a Ground Rod in the ground 'under' the "Junction Point"
of the Far-End of the Coax and your Antenna Element.

NOTE: You give-up 50-100Ft of Wire Antenna Element for a Coax
Cable Feed-in-Line with a MLB Coupler to create a "Low Noise"
Antenna.

Third - WHY? - Read these Messages posted to the Shortwave
Listeners (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !

* Improving the 'basic' Long Wire Antenna with a Coax Lead-in-Line
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1024

* Basic Antenna ? -and- Better Antenna ?

* Checking for "RF" Noise
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/707

* IMPROVING on the Classic simple "Random" Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/466

* An OutSide Ground for Better Safety and more . . .

* Understanding the Random Wire Antenna . . .
and Building a Better One !

* The "Low Noise" SWL Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...enna/message/2
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..