Old August 21st 03, 05:30 PM
Dr. Slick

wrote in message ...
Please think carefully about your reply.

I always do, unless i hafta take a dump! hehe..

Energy = Force x Distance

When I push the block in a square pattern, the distance is the sum of
the sides of the square.

When I push the block in a circle, the distance is the circumference,
which is 2 x pi x Radius.

If, after reviewing the above, you still think the radius needs
squaring, please explain why the equation for energy when pushing
in a circle is different than that for pushing in a square.

As an exercise, consider pushing in a triangle pattern, a square
pattern, pentagon, hexagon, heptagon, octagon, ....

Each pattern above is getting closer and closer to being a circle;
at which pattern does the equation for Energy change from being
the distance moved to being twice the enclosed area?

...Keith

It looks like you are correct. Sorry for the mistake, it's been
too
long since i've done a torque problem! I'm more of a EE!

Look at this page:

http://www.sinclair.net/~ddavis/170_ps10.html

If you agree that torque is in units of N*m, then according to this
page, you have to multiply this by the angular displacement, which
will be 2*pi for a full revolution. I was incorrectly trying to
multiple by the actual circumference traveled, which is incorrect
because we want angular displacement instead.

To me, this kinda shows how torque is closer to work than just
force, because with torque, you just need to and the angular
displacement (dimensionless) to get the work done.

Thanks for the review, Keith.

Slick