Old October 2nd 04, 11:27 PM
pete365

Default Mobile HF antenna melting....

Just installed a Hustler mobile antenna on my van and while tuning it,
it got so hot that the coil started to melt ( the cover) . What would
cause this? Antenna was mounted on a trailer hitch mount, 42" fold-over
mast, and with the 40 meter coil installed. At the time, the SWR was
less than 1.5 to 1, and running less than 100 watts. Is it normal for
these coils to run hot, even when matched?. The 20 meter coil started to
get hot too. If this is normal, how much power am I loosing in the coil.
Antenna seems to work well, everything else seems ok. Any Thoughts?
Pete N1AGV