Old September 27th 04, 10:14 PM
bpnjensen

Default Ferrite gadgets - beads, etc.

Friends -

I have a few queries regarding people's experience with Ferrite, esp.
beads and so forth.

Can these things actually reduce noise? I see them suggested for
encircling coax cable, electrical wires on appliances and electronics,
and many other devices. If one were to put them around a coax cable,
how many would one use in a row?

I have also seen suggestions that ferrite cores with the offending
wires wound through them are useful as well - how do these compare to
beads?

If one wound a wire around a ferrite rod, would this also have a
similar effect?

I presently use an A-D DX-Ultra, have used random wires, and intend to
put up some more wire including a new random wire and probably a loop
encircling most of my property along the fence and roof eaves. I
expect to feed these wires using coax with matching tranformers. The
radio and accessories are grounded, which clearly increases both the
signal and external noise.

I appreciate any and all answers. The noise in my neighborhood,
mostly the result of artificial external problems, is really
discouraging, and if these things would help even a few dB, it would
be a blessing.

Many thanks,
Bruce Jensen