Old September 28th 04, 12:54 AM
Mark S. Holden

bpnjensen wrote:

Friends -

I have a few queries regarding people's experience with Ferrite, esp.
beads and so forth.

Can these things actually reduce noise? I see them suggested for
encircling coax cable, electrical wires on appliances and electronics,
and many other devices. If one were to put them around a coax cable,
how many would one use in a row?

I have also seen suggestions that ferrite cores with the offending
wires wound through them are useful as well - how do these compare to
beads?

If one wound a wire around a ferrite rod, would this also have a
similar effect?

I presently use an A-D DX-Ultra, have used random wires, and intend to
put up some more wire including a new random wire and probably a loop
encircling most of my property along the fence and roof eaves. I
expect to feed these wires using coax with matching tranformers. The
radio and accessories are grounded, which clearly increases both the
signal and external noise.

I appreciate any and all answers. The noise in my neighborhood,
mostly the result of artificial external problems, is really
discouraging, and if these things would help even a few dB, it would
be a blessing.

Many thanks,
Bruce Jensen

Hi Bruce

If you've got an RFI problem, ferrite beads or cores are a big help.

If your antenna is away from the house, and your radio is well shielded,
I'd put one on the power cable to the radio, and three on the coax -
one near the radio end, one near the antenna end, and one outside near
the house.

If your radio isn't well shielded, or your antenna is in or near the
house you might want to buy them in bulk and put one on every power cord
near the plug, and a second on the other end of anything that causes RFI.

Good luck.