Old September 28th 04, 02:02 PM
Smokey

CaveDweller,

NEC recommends that ALL radios and ALL antennae be grounded to s single
point. The object of the game is that if there is even a milli-mho
difference between one ground used in a system and another, it will result
in a difference in potential (voltage). Yes, it is a pain, but try to bring
all your equipment to one single point.
Do not use your household electrical system ground for your radio grounding.
It's the same cancern, difference in potential. One time I did that
andactually measured a couple volts difference BETWEEN THE HOUSE GROUND AND
THE EARTH GROUND!
Also wind a "drip loop" to all lead in wires (coax etc). All you need is a
couple turns to make a coil that will introduce a little inductance in the
line which will discourage lightning more than a sraight line...and maybe
your slight inductance (which at millions of volts will become a sizeable
resistance) will convince the lightning to travel to ground using YOUR
NEIGHBORS TV ANTENNA WIRE instead- HI
Good luck.

Vern Weiss W9STB
Minocqua, WI

"CaveDweller" wrote in message
om...
I'm expecting a brown truck to pull up today and deliver me a brand
new NRD-545. As you know, Mr. Franklin and about 17 of his friends
have departed this locale, never to return. Due to their absence, I
have a great interest in proper equipment grounding.

Here is my situation. I have two SWL antennae-a 200 foot inverted L,
fed through a transformer which is grounded; and an Alpha Delta sloper
which has it's "down leg" grounded at the same point. Both coaxial
feedlines are fed through a switch with an arc-plug protector, which
is also grounded, but to a different ground rod about 40' from the
first one. FWIW all ground conductors are flat-braid.

My current radio is grounded to the house wiring, which has been
checked and is done properly. I plan to run the 545 from batteries,
though, so this should not be an issue.

Should I tie these grounds together? And then ground the 545 to the
same point? This would result in some rather long ground connections,
but I'm thinking that would protect the radio the most.

Of course, I'm interested in the lowest noise possible, but my main
concern is protecting my new baby.