Old September 29th 04, 12:46 AM
CaveDweller

Thanks, Jack and Smokey, for the tremendous information. Jack, had I
been able to find you website I never would have needed to post the
question....it's very helpful.

Consider me well grounded (well, at least soon...if it ever stops
raining)

"Jack Painter" wrote in message news:tif6d.5749$%t3.78@lakeread01...
"CaveDweller" wrote
Here is my situation. I have two SWL antennae-a 200 foot inverted L,
fed through a transformer which is grounded; and an Alpha Delta sloper
which has it's "down leg" grounded at the same point. Both coaxial
feedlines are fed through a switch with an arc-plug protector, which
is also grounded, but to a different ground rod about 40' from the
first one. FWIW all ground conductors are flat-braid.

My current radio is grounded to the house wiring, which has been
checked and is done properly. I plan to run the 545 from batteries,
though, so this should not be an issue.

Should I tie these grounds together? And then ground the 545 to the
same point? This would result in some rather long ground connections,
but I'm thinking that would protect the radio the most.

Of course, I'm interested in the lowest noise possible, but my main
concern is protecting my new baby.

Hi, I saw "Smokey"'s reply here also, and that was very good advice. But a
couple of comments might reinforce his points:

1. There is no "in between" in lightning protection. It's all or nothing,
all the time. Don't be discouraged or intimidated from learning the methods
and materials required for the job, but after the research that applies to
your requirements, don't do anything half-way if you decide to go with the
protection scheme. You could completely isolate and protect by disconnecting
*everything*, or you could completely protect and never disconnect. Anywhere
in between can create very dangerous situations for your equipment, your
home, and yourself.

2. Braid is a lousy RF ground, and an even more useless bonding conductor
for lightning protection. When it's tinned it is better, but still a bad
choice. Replace all your braid with either #2 or #4 solid copper wire
(outdoor bonding) or 3" (minimum) heavy gage copper strapping (indoor
bonding).

3. Following the protection scheme, if the radio will remain connected to AC
power (that includes DC connection to a power supply that is AC-connected),
then the best bonding connection possible from your station's single point
ground to the home's AC entrance panel ground rod is critical.

You can begin your research with less than an hour's read at my website, and
then write me in the group or by email if you have any questions.
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/grounding.htm

Good luck,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA