Old October 5th 04, 01:20 PM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:19:41 -0500, "John Smith"
wrote:

Okay, then, I will present data measured this day for this antenna:

http://www.sophisticatedsolutions.us...d%20Dipole.jpg

This is shown in "Antennas for All Applications" on page 820, figure 23-17
(a).

Just an off the cuff remark and a possible clue.

It's not clear from the picture or explanation if the center
conductor is continious from the right half of the antenna to the
left. I understand the center conductor does not connect to the
right half at the T.

For the case that it does continue:
Looking that the picture, if the right side were parallel to the left
I'd call that a 1/4 wave 1:1 balun with a shorted load connected
rather than an antenna. That would result in a significant reactance
or a short depending on frequency. The sorted load would be the
continued centor conductor in the right half.

For the case that it does Not continue:
I'd call that a 1/4 wave 1:1 balun with an open load connected rather
than an antenna. That would result in a significant reactance again.

There is a third case:
A connect dot is missing at the junction of the center conductor where
it meets the shield of the right loop (top center). If the lengths
were ~1/4 wave for each side then the impedence at the center would
be high for the left center conductor and the right shield and that
would likely be a tuneable folded dipole.

Did I miss something about the antenna design?

As drawn it looks like an attempt to take a parallel line balun (coax
with a 1/4wave 1:1 balun) and make it serve as a radiator. There is
detail missing one possible dimensions and other connections.

FYI: if you used one of those cheap eithernet Tees to create the
junction, I've found them to be very poor at UHF. Use a good quality
one with TFE insulation and test it seperately first.

Allison