Old October 4th 04, 05:19 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article , sdaniel13
@nyc.rr.com says...
I'm always curious about people's antennas, though they often go
unmentioned here. So, what's in your back yard (or on your roof, or in
your attic....)?

Shorty G5RV dipole*, up about two stories, but the ends are folded
around a bit in order to keep a low profile. I'm in a condo so the
neighbors are a little closer than I would like, so I try not to
advertise that I'm a ham. (Operating QRP power levels helps, too.) The
antenna does pretty well for tuning around the shortwave bands with my
FT-817, too, but I suppose it would be better if I could get it up a bit
straighter and slightly higher.

For portable listening, like on the beach or in the hotel room, I have a
little Grundig wind-up long wire antenna with an alligator clip on the
end. Works nicely for stringing up a wire around the room, and the
alligator clip (added after purchase) connects well to the built-in whip
on my little DX-375 receiver for recreational listening on trips.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

*The shortened version doesn't cover below 40m for transmitting, but for
shortwave listening it does okay.