Old October 4th 04, 03:18 PM
HankG

"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
t...
In article 4Fj3d.3745$Ii2.3736@trnddc09, honus1
@earthlink.net.is.invalid says...
I'm looking to buy one online, since there don't seem to be any

purveyors in
my area. I'd like to hear some recommendations for brands. I've found
several styles, but I'm hoping to find one that's easiest to read

quickly.
(Some look like they'll take a couple of seconds of deciphering.) I'm
thinking of going digital for that reason, but I have to admit I kind of
like the way the analog clocks look in the shack photos that I've been
seeing lately.

Having worked for chain drug stores for years, whenever any 'store brand'
items were returned by customers, they would wind up in the trash can (not
returnable to manufacturer). You wouldn't believe how many fans, radios,
mag flashlights, etc., I 'removed' from the trash--now working nicely.

On two separate occasions, I acquired 'store' clocks, the big (14" diameter
Seth Thomas variety) which fell from the wall dislodging the hands,
eventually winding up in the trash. I hanged them in my shack (one set for
UTC). A simple dismantling and the hands were replaced.

Since one case was broken, I dismantled it, removed the hour hand, painted
it red, and added it to the other clock. I also printed out a small set of
numerals in bold, ranging from 00, 13, 14 - 23, and taped them with
invisible tape forming an inner ring indicating UTC on the clock face. The
painted hand was set to UTC. So twice a year, a simple dismantling (3
screws) and I reset the 'standard' hand.

Bottom line, you could do the same with any 2 similar clocks, or even make
your own with an inexpensive clock module and extra hand.

HankG