Old October 8th 04, 12:25 AM
Richard Clark

On 07 Oct 2004 22:47:01 GMT, ospam
(Theplanters95) wrote:

Richard,

On 75m and 40m, I am interested in NVIS. For 20m and above, DX.

The soil is sand - high desert sand. I am also on a hile. On the side with the
feedpoint, we have a small walking space about 20ft from the antenna. After
the walk space, a drop off occurrs of about 40 feet to the next street. The
next side will have one of the eaves and be 15' high then go up the eaves to
about 25' or 30' from the ground, then back down to 15'. The front will be
about 15 feet high. The next side will be like the first one with eaves, and
then back to the backside of the house. I am guessing on the heights.

Hi Randy,

All things considered above tends in your favor - a sort of solution
that when life offers lemons, make lemonade.

I am wondering about the 450 ohm feedline. It would pass near (less than a
foot) my pc on the way to the rig and tuner. Would it cause RFI?

Depends mostly on balance and thus Common Mode issues. Unbalance
arrives by virtue of lack of symmetry somewhere in the system. The
close proximity of the antenna to various structures tends to increase
the likelihood. Anticipate RFI such that you can add a BalUn (if it
makes sense) and cable. The only virtue of 450 Ohm line is in low
loss, but you won't have a long enough run for this to really matter
much.

I also have an offer of 4 5ft mast. Would it help to use the mast to push the
antenna up a litte more?

A 45 foot "mast?" Are you prepared for all the guying? If so, you
could as easily build a top loaded vertical. Don't reduce your
options and walk away from the house-wrapped loop though.

On the frount of the house, I am planning on running the wire under a pvc rain
gutter. We have the power feedline coming in from the pole to the service at
the front.

Well, this speaks to issues of symmetry and balance. This could be
opportunity in disguise (more lemonade) where you put the open into
the loop.

Really, all the compromises you could make (aside from laying it on
the ground) will have negligible effect on performance. Putting it up
higher follows the maxim "more wire - higher" to advantage.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC