Old October 9th 04, 03:08 PM
Bob Miller

On 8 Oct 2004 20:11:16 -0700, (Lee Carkenord)
wrote:

My old delta loop on 20M SSB finally quit. Actually, it was destroyed
in a hailstorm. It was made of 18 gauge solid Copperweld, and stayed
up in the Denver smog for many years.

This equilateral antenna was mounted vertically, with apex up, fed in
middle of base.

It was a real good antenna, and I'm going to put up a replacement,
with same basic parameters.

In terms of strength, longevity, fatigue resistance, and resistance to
stretching which would be better, 12 to 16 gauge solid copper, or
12-16 gauge stranded copper?

If stranded and bare, moisture can get between the strands and shorten
the life. There might also be some added noise.

Insulated or non-insulated?

For stranded wire in your climate, you probably want it insulated.

If I use insulated 12-16 gauge copper, how much should I shorten the
overall length, expressed as a percentage, as compared to the bare 18
gauge Copperweld I had up before the storm? I will want this antenna
cut for same freq (14.225 Mhz) as the previous one.

My Wirebook IV says shorten insulated antenna wire by 1 to 4 percent.

I'm having pretty good luck on an 80 meter dipole with the Wireman's
#18 stranded, "silky" insulated CCS.

Bob
k5qwg

Thank you...... Lee Carkenord KA0FPJ