Old October 11th 04, 11:24 PM
Joel Kolstad

"ends" wrote in message
om...
I have search far and wide for this but have come up empty handed. I
spent $25+ on a set of rabbit ears for my home set, and could not get
good reception no matter what I did. A friend told me to push the end
of an AC Adapter to the input of my co-ax cable, and set the plug
where ever I need to get the best reception. It worked! Better than
the rabbit ears. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

No, although replacing rabbit ears with wire coat hangers (a dying breed!)
and bits of tin foil seem to have been common in times past.

Or, are there
any other tips and tricks for getting the best reception?

Sure... get a good outdoor antenna. If you don't like that idea and rabbit
ears aren't doing it for you, though... well... you can try fancier antennas
indoors as well, but if your current approach is working, by all means, keep
using it.

I would suggest _staying away_ from most of the spendier set top antennas
(including amplified ones) at, e.g., Radio Shack. Generally there's
negligible improvement over rabbit ears. (And it's not like you could tell
from looking at the package, either, since they don't include a graph of the
antenna's performance. :-( )

I used to live in Madison, Wisconsin where the downtown Radio Shack store
had a policy that prohibited the return of set top antennas. They said that
many college kids would move in, buy them, find they performed poorly, and
then return them! Sort of an odd policy... (Interestingly, the problem in
Madison was more often that you'd have severe ghosting than a poor signal,
and of course the only cheap fix for that is a directional antenna.)

---Joel Kolstad