Old October 12th 04, 12:20 AM
Bill Ogden

Default Half sloper mounting

I intend to try a half sloper on my TX455 tower (with a tribander on top).
I can connect the sloper to the top of the tower (about 55 feet up) or to
the top of the middle section (about 38 feet up). Other things being equal,
I would prefer the middle section (for maximum separation from an inverted V
connected to the top section and at right angles to the sloper). The tower
is grounded and will have a reasonable number of radials (when I can figure
out how to best attach them).

I know that half slopers have been debated here and many other places and
provide considerable confusion for most of us. I think I understand that
the tower provides most of the radiation and the sloper wire is more a
matching device than a radiation device. Should I expect significant
improvement with a tower-top connection instead of a middle section
connection? Would it make much difference? Are these things so unpredictable
that experimentation is the only answer?

Bill
W2WO