Old August 21st 03, 11:48 PM
Tom Bruhns

(Dr. Slick) wrote in message . com...
Actually, my first posting was right all along, if Zo is always real.

From Les Besser's Applied RF Techniques:

"For passive circuits, 0=[rho]=1,

And strictly speaking: Reflection Coefficient =
(Zload-Zo*)/(Zload-Zo)

Where * indicates
conjugate.

But most of the literature assumes that Zo is real, therefore
Zo*=Zo."

Fascinating... Please have a look at the following reply I got from
Besser... I still wish people would go through the simple math
themselves, and make up their own minds what's correct and what isn't.
I gather that Slick has made up his own mind, though see no evidence
that it's on the basis of the simple calcs from what I believe he
already agrees with. Oh, well, not MY problem. (This is twice now,
recently, that I've followed up on other people's references and found
them to be at best questionable in some way.)

Cheers,
Tom

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Beginning of quoted material =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hello Tom-

Thank you for your message. I do not know which specific course was
referenced by the person you mentioned in your message, but I did
check
the notes for our more popular course which covers linear RF circuits.
In the manuals for that course, the formula is given as you described,
except that the Zo term in the numerator is _not_ the complex
conjugate.
Thus the formula in the manual reads:

Gamma = Vr/Vf = (Zl-Zo)/(Zl+Zo)

This is in agreement with Guillermo Gonzalez's text, "Microwave
Transistor Amplifiers," which is one of the references used in writing
the course.

Please let me know if this information addresses your concern.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Rex