Old October 13th 04, 01:45 PM
Ken Bessler

Default Stupid question of the day (SQOTD)

I just moved from DM79 to EM17. In Denver, I could
put up 1 big inverted V for HF. I selected the Van Gordon
"All Bander" and a LDG Z100 autotuner. Worked nice.

Now in Wichita, KS I don't have room for anything bigger
than the 134' all bander and I'm without a tuner. I can,
however, put up many antennas. (lotsa trees around)

Yesterday I trimmed my all bander until it was 25' per leg
shorter and resonated on 40m. It also looks good now on
17 & 10 meters. I put up an inverted V for 20. Using a
coax switch, I can switch between the two, giving me 40,
20, 17 & 10.

I'm starting to wonder if multiple antennas via an antenna
switch might be the way to go.

I'd like 80 meters but the only area that can fit a large
dipole like that is already taken by the all bander so an
80 meter dipole would either have to be a loaded vertical
or a loaded dipole. I've got room for a 40' dipole - no
larger.

30 & 12 meters do not interest me but 15 does - I'm
thinking maybe I'll add 15 meter elements to my 20
meter inverted V.

My question - Am I right thinking that an antenna farm
with resonant antennas would outperform a single large
dipole and a tuner? My guess is yes.

Also, anybody got good plans for an 80 m inverted,
loaded V antenna? Would it be better to put the 15m
dipole on that antenna vs the 20m V?

Ken KG0WX