Old October 15th 04, 03:37 PM
Dan Weir

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message ...

I think Chuck's problem in competing in the media is his show's lack of
focus. He oftentimes talks of consumer/business topics, but not like Bruce
Williams. Politics comes up, but not like on the Rush Limbaugh show. Chuck
works around the fringes, but he doesn't do weird science like Art Bell.
It's tough to develop a loyal audience when subject matter shifts around so
much. Some listeners will tune out at the mention of one subject or
another. I think Chuck talks about what he wants to talk about, and doesn't
have a good feel for his intended audience.

Recapping all this, it's obvious to me that Chuck Harder went in way
over his head when he decided to take all his money and start his
nationally syndicated "For The People" show back in March 1987. He
DOES disregard his audience when it comes to "hot" topics, endlessly
repeating his economic-nationalism mantra, often using the exact same
words over and over again ("you can't do business with people who
don't have any money"; "I have seen reality, Doctor, and I don't like
what I see"; "NAFTA and GATT have destroyed this nation"; "when people
have nothing left to lose, they have nothing left to lose"; and so
on).
Chuck has a wonderful radio voice (at least in my opinion), and he's
good at tinkering, but his politics are a mishmash of vague
anti-government hatred, ignorance, trite phrases, misunderstandings,
gaffes, and non-sequiturs.
Chuck would do well to hang up his mike, and go back to commercials,
voice-overs, specials, and what not. And he MUST stay away from ANY
literary venture, because he's an atrocious writer. For proof of that,
just go to his Web site and click on some of the links at the top. For
all you English teachers, copy editors, pundits, authors and anyone
else who makes a living with words, please disregard this advice -
Chuck's literacy deficit will drive you crazy. But if you must go
there, be forewarned!
This may sound odd, but my hat's off to IDT/Liberty for putting up
with this guy, and living under the cloud of a potential ADA-inspired
lawsuit from him. I have a feeling that IDT/Liberty would rather Chuck
not be on their network, since there are thousands and thousands of
much more well-qualified, intelligent, glib talk show hosts out there
who're champing at the bit to take over Chuck's slot. And I venture to
guess that there are many more fed-up listeners like me who are sick
and tired of Chuck's bizarre, never-ending resurrection of Ross Perot.
Probably the best take on Chuck Harder is from another radio talk show
host, "King Daevid" MacKenzie-Aachen (I THINK that's his full name -
I'm terrible with names). KDMA basically says that Chuck is an
incompetent boob who can't argue his way out of a wet paper bag. I
tend to agree. And I've never heard KDMA on the radio; I've just
picked up on his comments on the Internet. But I'll bet a dollar to a
doughnut that KDMA is a damn sight better than Chuck Harder. Wonder if
IDT/Liberty is talking to KDMA? Hmmmm...