Old October 19th 04, 01:46 AM
BDK

In article ,
says...
Conan Ford wrote in message 23.159...
I noticed the TV owner was using an antenna, instead of cable. I imagine
that the TV antenna (rabbit-ears dipole?) helped to transmit the signal in
a manner that could be received by the the satellite. If it had just been
plugged into cable, it might not have been strong enough. I bet more of
these sets get this problem occasionally, just it never becomes an issue.

The TV in the common area, in the building I live in, also throws of a
spurious signal on 121.500. It is an old "Citizen" brand TV,
connected to a "Rogers" cable coverter.
Fred Burgess

My 88 S10 Blazer's factory radio/cassette did a weird thing like this.
One click down from 104.7 at 104.5, there was always an odd supposedly
dead carrier, with a slight hum, about 100HZ or so. One day I was
sitting there, bored, and was tuning around on the radio, and my dog,
who was ear splittingly loud, saw something, and started barking. I had
just tuned to 104.5, and his distorted bark could be heard clearly
through the speakers! If I really yelled, I could shout into the tape
slot and be understandable through the speakers, but I didn't have the
lung power to really drive it! That's the one thing about that dog I
don't miss..

About a year later, a friend and his wife pulled up next to me in a
parking lot someplace and we were talking and the dog went nuts, as he
did often, and I played the 104.5 "echo" for them. My friend's wife
laughed and then tuned 104.5 on their radio, and there was my dog,
yelling through their speakers too! A little testing showed the range
was about 20 ft before 104.7 started trashing it, and after 40 ft, it
was gone.

It got worse suddenly, and started feeding back all the time, if played
loudly, so I bought a used one to replace it.

BDK