Old October 26th 04, 11:37 AM
dxAce

David Robinson wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message ...
Yeah its going to be really interesting to watch developments over the next
few years. Either it will revolutiionize SW or else it will flop like HDTV
did.

I wonder what the implications for SW DXing are - will it be a hobby that
fades into hisotyr like listning to a crystal raifo 100 years ago?

If it takes off, wouldn't it open up new DXing possibilities? At least
for those who are interested in new challenges.

With careful signal averaging or processing, it may (for example) be
possible to pull a station ID out of the DRM stream in reception
conditions where even the existence of a station would be doubtful
now.

The power required for efficient DRM transmission kind of precludes it from being 'DX'... And if
you think that governments who can barely keep an ordinary station on shortwave are suddenly
going to embrace DRM and toss a lot of money into it you are sadly mistaken.

Also, it would seem that shortwave is used a lot these days to broadcast information to third
world countries and the folks in those areas probably don't have a lot of funds to put into the
purchase of new receiving sets.

It really seems to me that DRM is being embraced by a certain 'clique' in Europe, and for the
life of me I can't really understand why.

dxAce
Michigan
USA