Old October 17th 04, 12:11 PM
Fractenna

He and his fractal antenna crap have been ridiculed so much on this
forum (rightly so)
that he feels compelled to use the BPL issue against fellow hams as a
weapon.

My dear friend,

This is not the case.

I work with hams and have hams on my board. And, of course, I am a ham. There
is no 'weapon'.

The issue is the following:

Does ham radio accept the wireless /telecom revolution, or does it live in the
past?

Dual use of spectrum with the proper guidelines and thoughtful restrictions is
the way to go, so that millions of folks can share in this evolving radio
landscape. BPL will be only one of many adopted technologies in this mix.

What's happened is that a very few vocal hams have gone totally ballistic and
used any and all tactics possible to try to kill a new technology called BPL.

My point is that those of us who dissent (relative to those such as yourself)
on this matter , and in fact we have a logical, rational, and objective view,
should have our opportunity to voice our opinion as well.

The few radical hams who have tried to represent radio amateurs in the United
States as a whole, do not,in fact, represent that body.

The FCC must represent the people of the United States, and more specifically
in this case, the WHOLE radio amateur service.

They watch out and do what's best for the SERVICE--not a few very vocal hams.

I think the latest modifications to Part 15 are a brilliant roadmap to allowing
new technologies to be a viable dual user of spectrum with licensed services.
That includes the BPL use of the HF spectrum.

I'm also very enthusiastic about the other technologies that have been
discussed here, including, among others, Wi-Max.

Obviously there will be some markets where BPL does well, and others where it
won't.

But for a few vocal hams to try to kill a new technology only focuses the
spotlight back on us, as, in fact, it has this past Summer and Spring (for
example, the front page Wall Street Journal article). And that focus makes us
look antiquated and silly to the outside world.

I don't feel (and am not) antiquated and silly. Are you?

Hams need to move ahead--not just anecdotally-- with new modes and
technologies. There is HUGE resistance to that, and the world has and is
passing us by.

I think this is very sad, and I cannot condone that.

So this is how one very informed radio amateur feels.

With Best wishes,

Chip N1IR