Old August 22nd 03, 04:25 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:03:41 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:47:58 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

I find this most interesting. As a P.E. licensed by the state of Oregon
(since 1981), I'm aware that I'm subject to state laws governing the
code of conduct of Professional Engineers, and all other applicable
state laws. I didn't realize that I had legal obligations to NIST, or
that any other federal agency has requirements for P.E.s of all states.
Would you please provide some reference where I can further research
this obligation and the rules it has imposed that I'm legally required
to comply with?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL, P.E.

Hi Roy,

"RCW 19.94.150
Standards recognized.
The system of weights and measures in customary use in the United
States and the metric system of weights and measures are jointly
recognized, and either one or both of these systems shall be used
for all commercial purposes in this state. The definitions of
basic units of weight and measure and weights and measures
equivalents, as published by the national institute of standards
and technology or any successor organization, are recognized and
shall govern weighing or measuring instruments or devices used in
commercial activities and other transactions involving weights and
measures within this state."

This is from the state of Washington, I will leave it to you to
research your own particular point of liability in Oregon.

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. I'll be more careful to specify circuit
board trace line widths in furlongs, and volumes of radar detection
regions in bushels, those being duly recognized customary units of
measure here in Oregon. I'll no longer use lakj;ofs and mapeurqak!pys,
which I had previously been using.

Uh-huh.

Could you please try to rephrase it in a way that can be understood by
an engineer with a sadly deficient liberal arts education?

Hi Roy,

Probably not.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC