Old October 28th 04, 04:47 PM
John S.

True, shortwave broadcasters could charge a fee for digital shortwave
signals. Given that they have established competition in the form of
subscription satellite radio, free FM and free AM broadcasts and
internet radio I think they will find the market share small. The
shortwave broadcasters face the challenge of convincing their
listeners that spending good money on a special purpose radio and a
monthly fee will provide a big improvement in radio programming. It
will be a very steep hill to climb.

I could see digital broadcasts to local stations which then
rebroadcast in either standard MW or FM.

starman wrote in message ...
"John S." wrote:

The key to it's success will be whether users will buy the needed
digital receiver. Given that most major brodcasters are moving toward
satellite, FM and MW broadcasts I don't think there wil be much reason
for a broad range of SW listerners to buy a digital unit. Neat idea,
but too late. The speaker said as much:

"Admittedly listeners would need new receivers. As a consequence, the
real challenge for the DRM consortium would be to achieve successful
implementation, said Technical Director of the EBU, Mr. Philip Laven."

There's also the possibility that DRM or any digital shortwave system
won't always be free to the listener. It could become like subcription
satellite radio, where the user has to pay for the service before the
receiver is activated.