Old October 19th 04, 07:04 AM
Cecil Moore

Richard Harrison wrote:
I have a 1982 ARRL Antenna Book. On page 13-3 there is a Fig. 6,
"Improved Current Distribution Resulting From Center Loading". The

My 1988 version shows the same thing on page 16-4, Fig. 7. Unfortunately,
two pages later, in Fig. 10 it shows how the current at the top of a
top length of a 90 degree antenna. Since V*I*cos(theta) is the power, does
that mean that the voltage at the top of the coil is 1/4 the value of
an equal top length of a 90 degree antenna? So the impedance looking into
that 15 degrees of whip above the coil is 1/16 of the impedance looking
into that same 15 degrees of that same whip mounted above 75 degrees of
wire??? Doesn't sound reasonable, does it? Exactly how does that coil
manage to change the impedance looking into 15 degrees of whip by a
factor of 16 AT THE TOP OF THE COIL?????

That's exactly what happens when one uses circuit analysis on a distributed
network problem. If circuit analysis worked on such a problem, we wouldn't
need distributed network analysis.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp