Old November 6th 04, 11:16 AM
Volker Tonn

Hank schrieb:

Hello,

I am having my house re-wired and and I am considering putting in
dimmer switches for lights and /or ceiling fans.

I have heard than can cause radio noise.

That's true.

Any tips about their installation ?
Are some switches better than others ?

Yes!

If the power is off to a switch, they can not cause noise, can they ?

There are different models. Some switch 'really' off. Some don't.

Ideas ?

I have both types -about 10- installed in my appartment home.
As I live in germany I have installed well known german brands wich are
CE-approved. They are not cheap at all -costs about 30 US$ each...-
I have no noise from them at all.

BTW: Many VCR's are well known to create a big noise floor....