Old November 7th 04, 01:01 AM
Howard

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:52:13 -0500, "Jennie" wrote:

I think I like a dual band. I live around Atlanta, ga. 2 and 70..

remainder of post snipped for brevity's sake

Jennie,
First off, congratulations!

You might want to see if there are many 220 MHz repeaters in your area
- if so I recommend the Kenwood TH-F6 as it has 2 meters, 220 and 440.
Not as 'bullet proof' regarding intermod as some dual band radio's
I've had but that is also due to it's wideband receive (100 KHz to 1.3
GHz).

As to dual-band radios I've had decent luck with a Yaesu FT-50, it has
been dropped on hard surfaces (not intentially) bounced around in a
backpack and even rained on and it still works. I've not used Icom
HT's but have an R2 scanner and R75 receiver and am pleased with their
performance as well. Each of the "Big 3" (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu) have
their own scheme for operating controls - as well as champions &
detractors. If you can shop locally then do so as it will give you a
chance to play around with the various manufacturer's models and allow
you to decide which one 'feels best' in your hand - and don't forget
to ask to see the manual to figure out which one's operating scheme
and instructions are easiest to deal with.

My advice follow's Steve's regarding batteries - don't spend money on
an extra NiMH battery, check which ones take an "AA" pack and also
check the instructions for how much power is available on that pack.
For instance, the Yaesu FT-50 puts out 2 - 21/2 watts on teh "AA" pack
whereas the Kenwood TH-F6 only puts out 1/2 watt.

Again, congratulations & enjoy the hobby,
Howard