Old October 19th 04, 07:02 PM
G&R

Hi Wes,

Yes I am aware of the difference between the advertising on the site and the
range results.

As you are aware antennas do not have even gain across the entire band. We
have designed the antenna to cover the entire 2m band and as a result do see
a variation in the perfromance across the band, hence max gain.

And before you cut down my comments, the precision on the results are from
the softare and we are in the process of redesigning the format to more
accurately reflect our actual results both modelled and actual.
Unfortunately our business is antennas and web design.

The results posted on the CSVHF society are valid as the antenna was tested
with a gain of 11.2dBd at 144.18MHz Horiz Polarization. Design Freq is
146.0MHz.

We are in the business of designing and selling antennas not developing
antennas and giving them away for free. However, if your serious about the
data for the antenna contact me directly so that we can discuss the details
(email listed below).

As to the DATAQ, well I have no answer for that one, as we don't build it or
sell it. Our software is designed to with run it. Strange though, my
Toshiba does and so does my SONY through a USB to SERIAL converter.

One final point, the purpose of the posting was that identify that an
antenna does not always need boom length and elements for gain and that
there are other ways to achieve this.

Respectfully,

Guenther VE3CVS

www.degendesigns.com

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:01:22 -0400, "G&R" makes a claim and opens
himself up to skewering:

|Hi Art,
|
|While this was the common theory many years ago, there other ways to get
|gain from an antenna other than boom length and number of elements.
|
|ie On 2m we are able to get 11.2 dBd on a 45inch boom with 3 elements
|stacked 2 wide. Yes, this is range tested see results at
|http://www.csvhfs.org/ant/CSANT04.HTML

Uh Oh! The measured data show 11.2 dBd, the advertising shows 13.97
dBd. I thought maybe I went to the Raibeam site by mistake but no, I
went he

http://www.degendesigns.com/StackedVwave.htm

I love that precision BTW. I've done a fair amount of antenna range
testing using HP 8510s for measurement receivers and I've never been
able to establish gain within 1/100 dB.

But you can do it with a ham receiver and "subjective analysis".
Congratulations.

Since you're using two 45" booms spaced 58" apart, I would argue that
you should compare your design to a 148" boom Yagi and see what
happens.

How about posting your dimensions so we can see what modeling says
about them.

One further note: The Dataq DI-194 mentioned at:

http://www.degendesigns.com/Downloads.htm

WILL NOT work with all computers. This device is powered by the
serial port and my Toshiba laptops will not drive it.