Old November 7th 04, 07:25 PM
JuLiE Dxer

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:06:15 -0800, "Keyboard In The Wilderness"
wrote:

Be sure you want an HT instead of a mobile.
A mobile can be easily removed from the car and used as base station (with
an external power supply)

I've done that very thing for many years though have base rigs here
capable of 2m/440. I mostly bring the mobile rig in with me because
there are too may druggies around looking for something to steal.

The biggest benefit is being able to use your car battery easily and
be able to run 50+ watts from the mobile. HT's can be cumbersome if
you wish to use an adapter for the external antenna, an adapter for DC
thru the cigarette lighter, and perhaps even an adapter for an
external mic.