Old October 19th 04, 07:46 PM
Jimmie

" wrote in message
news:t4bdd.277152$D%.236528@attbi_s51...
Ian, All the points you made are very good especialy when you
stated that gain is ROUGHLY proportional to boom length and
then go on to mention "aperture'
The question I asked was very specific but not personal like the
presidential
debates this newsgroup uses the question as the basis for what they want

say.
The reason I asked the specific question was to obtain a datum line for
antennas relative to gain and a well used term of boom length.
NEC programs can provide this basic if the latest revision is used
and the program is all encombassing.( Many are not)
Mention coupling and some experts go nuts
but NEC is all encompassing provides definitive answers that remove
measurement errors presently shown and cuts through a lot of garbage.
All encompassing is all important in that sufficient segments are

available
together with the use of variuable dimensions as this gets away from use

of
methods
to get around inadequacy of a particular program. You mention "aperture"
but I don.t believe it changes any results given by NEC. Others ridicule

the
use of the term
critical coupling yet NEC shows that element currents can be changed via
coupling
and it is current placement that we are interested in, so why so much
redicule/
The same goes for element diameters NEC provides the correct construction
for
elements which is another important variable for gain
So in other words, a NEC curve would deflect most arguments and

personal
agenders
from the beginning and if one supplies actual measurement that are

contrary
to those of NEC
then we have a basis for truly specific debate. As somebody pointed out,

one
slanging match
has been going on for more than eight years regarding the use of critical
coupling, another is
the subject of coils, actual measurement versus a manipulated program
calculation.
I pretty much have had it with excuses regarding inadequecies of some
programs,
If NEC is a really viable tool; then let us use it as a datum by using a

NEC
program that
is all encompassing to judge measured claims against so hat true

specific
can be judged.
It is possible after all that even NEC may obtain several more revisions
over time because of
actual measurement which can only aid all in the understanding of antennas
and the removal
of old wifes tales and private agendas that evolved prior to NEC.
Is it auguments that we yearn for on this newsgroup or true resolution of
ideas?
Art

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote in message
I did not want to choose a curve that matches my modelling which you
can
when presented with three different curves all of which are formulated
at different
times by different people. I would have thought that the advent of NEC
would
render these curves redundant !

The plot of many individual yagis does confirm the general idea of gain
being roughly proportional to boom length, and that is a very important
thing to understand.

clip

There is no direct connection between boom length and gain. This is because
lengthing the boom also implies one has added elements and possibly made
adjustments to element spacing. A good source of the data you seek may be an
antenna catalog(or manufacturers web site). compare the published gains of
the different length antennas.