Old October 20th 04, 05:33 AM
Tom Donaly

Ian
Would you please describe for me the physical arrangement of an IDEAL
inductance.
I cannot visulise such a thing as I only have seen 'coiled ' inductors
,where each coil has
a scientific and analytical relationship to its adjacent coils which thus
CREATE an
inductance and without which an 'inductance' cannot occur.
I don't want to enter the augument that is ensuing on this thread but just
want to be sure that
there is not an inductance available that is not generated by proximity to
other items including
its own content (wire length)
Using chemical terms, is it an element or a compound if you get my drift ,
since you later
mention that 'inductance.' has a "fundamental physical
property................." that does not change
regardles of a proximity situation.
i.e. Self sufficient.?
TIA
Art

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote in message
news
Cecil Moore wrote:

I want you to stop and think a moment, about how an IDEAL INDUCTANCE
behaves in an antenna. (Sorry to shout, but every time I type "ideal
inductance" quietly, you seem to read something else :-)

Ian, please take your own advice. It's pretty obvious that you are
thinking about an IDEAL INDUCTANCE in terms of a lumped circuit
analysis
which is invalid when analyzing a STANDING-WAVE ANTENNA.

It makes life easier to compartmentalize your scientific world-view in
that way.... but it is deeply, fundamentally wrong.

In reality, all true scientific knowledge joins up seamlessly - that's
how we *know* it's true! If we can't see how it joins up, that means we
still have work to do. Dividing it into compartments that don't join up
is lazy and will always lead you false.

A fundamental physical property like inductance doesn't change its
behaviour depending on the situation it finds itself in. If you cut the
antenna wire and insert an ideal, lumped inductance, that inductance
will behave in exactly the same way as it does in any other circuit.

If you really looked hard at the math of antennas considered as
transmission lines, you would find there is no problem whatever about
inserting an ideal inductance, with no difference in current between its
two terminals.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Can you visualize a point mass, Art? An ideal inductance isn't a point
mass, but according to the textbooks, one is the mathematical analogue
of the other.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH