Old January 21st 05, 06:55 AM
John Miles

In article . com,
says...
I'm interested in building a FSK modem around a PIC microcontroller,
and am wondering how most FSK receivers convert the frequency to bits.
I'm open to a unique solution, and I've seen some frequency to voltage
converters that may work, but would like to know what some current
techniques are that may be a lot more reliable and simpler.
Thanks in advance!
Dave

Honestly, the way I'd do (and have done) this is by selecting an RF/IF
circuit (which you'll need anyway) that includes a quadrature
discriminator. The Philips SA604/605 family is ideal for that purpose,
but there are plenty of other choices. Quadrature tank components for
common IF frequencies are available off-the-shelf.

My suspicion is that PICs are a bit underpowered for all the DSP hackery
that the other guys are talking about. I could be wrong, though; I have
limited experience with them.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam