Old October 20th 04, 06:20 PM
Jack Painter

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote
Hi Jack

That is probably true and the reason the project was abandoned!

Step Leaders can form and reach up from almost any grounded source,
but more often than not, the eventual discharge causes no appreciable
harm.
TTUL
Gary

Hi Gary, I understand completely. Lightning attaching to an object is not
where the damage comes from, it's the way the damn stuff *leaves* that
causes the problems! ;-)

Notwithstanding your hopefully unique experience where water in a tower leg
was superheated. Some private company specifications call for an air
terminal and grounding electrode conductors on all their towers, including
at each fixture (antenna) attachment point.. Even most tower manufacturers
call this unnecessary, recommending bonding of air terminals (if used) to
the tower legs only. But I suppose that a grounding electrode conductor from
tower-top to ground *could* have prevented your loss, by reducing some of
the current in the tower legs in favor of the heavy GEC coming down
alongside them.

Best regards,

Jack