Old November 15th 04, 05:08 AM
Honus

"uncle arnie" &mex. wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:47 pm, Markeau posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/toc.asp?s=Tracking

Thanks, but it wants a "zip code" and I don't have one of those, not being
in your country.

Keep looking on the web. For most programs you'll need latitude and
longitude, sometimes altitude as well or so I've heard. I'm at sea level
basically, so that was never an issue for me. You'll also need to download
orbit info on occasion, so whatever program you pick probably isn't going to
be accurate "right out of the box". Satellite orbits degrade and/or are
adjusted, and you'll have to download the new info. (They're called
elements, or element sets...elsets for short.) It's easy enough; just
something you need to be aware of. There are also elements for shuttle
flights (SST), etc. and for obvious reasons you'll need to download elements
after each launch. I've seen the shuttle go overhead, which is a pretty rare
occurrence considering the part of the world that I live in. (Seattle.) Very
cool, and worth the effort. If you really get into this sort of thing,
you'll also want to keep an eye out for Iridium flares. Exceptionally cool!

Damn. All of this reminiscing makes me wish I'd moved -out- of the city.
sigh I've seen some neat things up there!

Oh, hell...I'll look those Iridium flares up right now.......and here we go:

http://satobs.org/iridium.html

The photos are neat, but they can't do justice to the real thing. I was out
on the Puget Sound heading back to the harbor with my brother in law at the
helm late one dark night when I saw one overhead. Too breathtaking for
words. By the time I could point it out it was gone, and I knew I wouldn't
have been able to describe how magnificent it was...so I kept it to myself.
They're that neat.

And since I'm in a Googling mood, this will help the novice (and expert)
satellite observer:

http://satobs.org/seesat/seesatindex.html