Old November 15th 04, 07:54 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Steve wrote:
I was recently on Icom's website and noticed that they describe the
frequency range of the R-75 this way:

Coverage: 0.03 - 60 MHz (0.1-29.99 and 50-54 MHz guaranteed)

I'm not on the market for a receiver, but if I were considering the
purchase of an R-75, their parenthetical disclaimer would make me
nervous.

Judging from what I've read elsewhere, the R-75 really does cover 0.03
- 60 mhz; but then, why does Icom only 'guarantee' more limited
frequency coverage?

The real question is "Is there anything to listen to in the 30-60 MHz
range?".

Probably not. Although there are some cool uses of that frequency
range like meteor scatter packet radio, nobody much seems to want to
use it. Last I knew, the US Forest Service and some of the rural power
companies seemed to prefer it (land mobile FM) as it got out into the
boonies better. That, and cordless phones at 49 MHz.

Mark Zenier
Washington State resident

Uhh, you forgot all the public service stuff that is
from 30 MHZ and up...There are all kinds of users near
here. Police/fire/Govt..

BDK