Old November 18th 04, 08:41 AM
starman

Lucky wrote:

I seem to be under the impression the R8 is a better buy then a R8A since it
has an optical encoder. I'm talking used equipment now. I have heard of
people's encoder going bad on the R8a, but not many on the R8. Is this
something I should continue to believe?

Lucky

Not much is known about the reliability of the optical encoder on the
original R8. I've never seen anyone mention a failure on this group but
Drake claimed they had problems with it and that's why they changed to
the mechancal encoder. I would still prefer the better ergonomics (more
dedicated buttons) of the R8A over the optical tuning encoder of the R8.