Old November 20th 04, 11:03 PM
Volker Tonn

JEFF UK schrieb:
Hi again.
Just wondering....
i have a coax fed long wire running along my garden fence at the moment for
swl ...
i have a old spare Antron 99 vertical CB antenna here..
how can i attach this to the end of my long wire to give me some vertical
reception ?
Or should i put it In Line with the long wire ?
I was wondering if the braided side of the coax on the Antron should go to a
earth stake ?
Any suggestions ?

Is this the 1/2 lambda or the 5/8lambda version?
In the 1st case you can add an antenna (versa-) tuner and use this
antenna seperately for the 60 to 10 meter bands. In 2nd case in addition
you should have to jumper the coil. A vertical antenna has some gain
in receiving DX of more than 5000 miles over a horizontal antenna when
matched(!) properly.
Using this antenna for lower bands is not recomended as ist is then
shorter than a 10th of the wavelegth wich will decrease gain drastically.
Using this antenna in conjunction with a longwire doesn't make too much
sense. Allmost all SW-transmission is polarizised horizontally. But
reflection on the ionosphere mixes it up all the way toyour antenna. So
in result it is somewhat like a lottery having the receiving antenna
polarized in best angle :-) So an inverted-V of 2 legs with 60- 100 ft
in 90 degress V-angle with an antenna tuner is a very good
omnidirectional broadband performer.