Old November 21st 04, 03:49 AM
tommyknocker

Beloved Leader wrote:

There's a neat link at RadioIntel today.
http://www.radiointel.com/

"North Korea: Journalism In The Service Of Kim Jong-il"
http://english.ohmynews.com/articlev...97456&rel_no=1

Scroll about 40% of the way down the page to see a picture of a NK
receiver. Typically, it is set to receive only one station.

I cross-posted this, because 1) it's shortwave, and 2), it's a tube
receiver. I can't tell you anything about the vintage of the radio.

In appearance, it reminds me of a 1960s Philips. My guess is that the
two knobs are on/off and volume, and the three pushbuttons grouped
together are radio station presets. The back reveals what looks like a
three tube design (unless there are 1 or 2 tubes in back that are not
evident) which reminds me of the three tube design of the volksradios of
Nazi Germany. It's probably a regenerative circuit, as were the
volksradios. I wonder if the plugs in back that are highlighted in the
photo are for some sort of cable radio connection; they look like RCA
style jacks. Another thought from actually reading the article: if all
the official sets use tubes, then a transistor radio like the kind the
article says will be smuggled in (possibly the same initiative paid for
with US taxpayer money mentioned on the rrs NG?) would be very
conspicuous.