Old November 21st 04, 05:26 AM
tommyknocker

0ff_r/-\\_/\\\\p wrote:

I am leaving for Army basic training in a few weeks.

The Sony ICF-SW55 is in the upper right:
http://gilkeson.net/gallery/20040524...there/IMGP0107

Allegedly still available in Japan
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/tourist/radio/acc/index.cfm?PD=1048&KM=ICF-SW55(J
E)&LG=1

....and Europe
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...uct/61548.html

Curious?

I imagine that since Sony is getting out of SW that the 55 is pretty
hard to find. I use the Degen 1102, available on Ebay. It uses three AA
batteries and has an included external (non whip) antenna that plugs
into a side jack, which greatly improves its performance and which is
better than clipping wire to the end of the whip. I paid about $75 for
mine, which includes shipping from Hong Kong (the stamps on the package
had a value of HK$121.10!).