Old November 22nd 04, 08:52 PM
Sanjaya

"tommyknocker" wrote in message ...
Sanjaya wrote:

"m II" wrote in message news:1Nfod.14134$l65.14116@clgrps13...
tommyknocker wrote:

I looked up Passport 2005 review for the 1103 and the pic shows a radio
with a combined analog/digital readout and the review mentions that it
doesn't have a volume control.

This seems strange. Could you please explain it?

mike

Hi Mike.

I don't know what TK's reference means.. Maybe he means the radio doesn't have the usual
up and down buttons, or "wheel", to adjust volume.

The 1103 does have a volume control.
To increase/decrease volume one presses the volume button and turns the tuning knob.
The volume "steps" appear on the LCD as you hear the volume going up or down.
Some people find this counter-intuitive, but I don't mind it at all. It works fine for me.

Quoting from Passport's review, page 118:
------
Frankenvolume

Not only the keypad and weird LCD compromise ergonomics. Incredibly,
there is also no separate volume control. No knob, no up/down
buttons-not even a little stick. Instead, to adjust volume you first
press a key, then quickly start turning the tuning knob until the
desired level is reached, then wait about three seconds; alternatively,
you can enter the desired volume level (0-63) on the keypad, then press
the volume key.

In time you'll probably come across somebody who proclaims, "Hey, that
doesn't bother me!" He's probably the same guy who likes bee stings.
------

I'll pass.

The radio is indeed digitally tuned, and has a digital readout on the display. The display
also has a *simulated* analog pointer that imitates an analog dial. It's
for show only. Frequencies
are accurately displayed by the digital readout above the simulated pointer.

Some people don't like that either, as the analog simulation takes up
lots of space and causes the
number buttons to be laid out in a horizontal single row instead of the
usual "keypad" fashion
we are used to. Again, I've had no problem getting used to that. I can easily enter
frequencies with the numbers in a row, and I think the simulated dial look cool.

Passport's review compares it to the Sony SW40, and notes that the 40
has been a weak seller, since people see it and automatically decide
it's analog tuned.

Others would rather have the standard layouts we're used to. I've had no problems with the
ergonomics of the DE1103, no "learning curve" so to speak.

I guess it's a matter of taste. What I'm concerned with is performance
and the 1103 gives me that.

I gave my honest opinions of the DE1103.
I like the radio and find no difficulty with the ergonomics.
Each of us... you, me, Passport, RadioIntel.com, etc., has our own opinion. I
respect your feelings about what you've read, and your choice not to purchase it.
Best wishes and much good listening to you.