Old November 25th 04, 07:11 AM
RHF

= = = tommyknocker wrote in message
= = = ...
I found this warning in Passport under the Degen reviews:

------
The Kaito version comes with the proper 120V AC adaptor for North
America, whereas the Degen version comes with a 220V AC adaptor suitable
for most other parts of the world. Both are safe when used "as is", or
with a Franzus or other recognized 120V-to-220V or 220V-to-120V AC
converter. However, according to unconfirmed reports, the Degen version
ordered by Americans from an unofficial eBay vendor in Hong Kong comes
with a 220V-to-120V AC converter that appears to pose a fire hazard.
------

The "unofficial eBay vendor in Hong Kong" can only be Liypn, and the
fire hazard converter is the one he includes with the Degen 1102 and
sells separate for the other Degen models. I pulled out the converter I
was sent, and it is made by "HX" with a model number of "HX-21A", made
in China. If you have one of these "HX" converters, DO NOT USE IT! If
you are buying a Degen that doesn't come with the converter, DO NOT BUY
the converter that Liypn sells! Buy a converter in America, or don't use
the recharging feature on the Degen (Kaito, which comes with the proper
plug, is ok).

TK,

Are we doing a "The Sky Is Falling" here ?

I have two of Liypn's 110VAC to 220VAC Converters that I use with
the 220VAC to DC Adapters for the Tecsun PL-230 and Tecsun Green
138 radios; both use Re-Chargable Batteries.

Both have been plugged in almost continously for Six Months or more.
#1 - The ACAC Converters run 'cool' to the touch.
#2 - The ACDC Adapters run 'a little warm'to the touch.
TBL = NO PROBLEM HERE [.]

However, if you were to try and use these ACAC Converters with
other Electrical/Electronic Devises that 'draw' more current than
they are Designed and Rated For:. You Could {Will} Have A Problem !

now go do the right thing ~ RHF
..
..