Old October 22nd 04, 02:51 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Richard

Are you insinuating that a tree struck by lightning cannot live after
being electrocuted?

Although not logical, since the sap turning to steam is more than
likely what split the tree in the first place. The path to ground
could have been less than 1/4 inch wide on opposing sides of the tree.

Nonetheless, the tree is still standing. It does have some strange
areas of bulging bark where the crack used to be.

I don't remember the exact year of the strike, but it was after 1968
and before 1972 and now this tree is the larger of the pair in moms
backyard. It's immune system must have been damaged, because it has
suffered from galls ever since shortly after it was split.

Now, as far as bolting trees back together using threaded rods, this
is not uncommon at all. The forked maple tree in my own front yard at
my St. Louis QTH was bolted together in two places to keep the two
trunks from spreading further as the tree grew. It worked!
A cedar tree in my backyard that split during an ice storm was mended
the same way at the same QTH. On this tree you can still see a part
of some of the rods that were used.

It only takes about 3 to 4 years for the large washer and nut to be
covered with bark and depending upon the gap where the rods were
placed, they may be visible for decades or covered in short order.

TTUL
Gary