Old November 27th 04, 10:59 AM
nitespark

Michael wrote:

Always wondered how well these things worked? According the CC Crane Co.
they're the best innovation since 'Amplitude Modulation". Fine, but can any
real user chime in with some performance stats?

Seems to me that it's almost too good to be true, but once in a while a
great product does come out and is superb. So, any Select-A-Tenna users have
any opinions they wish to share? My brother wants a Sony AP1....might this
be a cost effective alternative. His use is near distant / local AM.

I have one and will tell you they are HIGHLY EFFECTIVE. All you need do
is set it next to just about any AM radio with an internal antenna and
tune it to the frequency where you want to listen and you will hear
stations CLEARLY that you couldn't even detect before.

Not only that, they can improve the selectivity of the AM radio. The
station I am listening to is about 25 miles south of where I live and
runs 1000 watts (I think). I cannot hear it at all without the
Select-a-tenna. However, there is a 10,000 watt station 20khz lower
about 2-3 miles from where I live. With careful tuning of both the
radio and the Select-a-tenna, I can easily hear the lower power station
25 miles away, and eliminate the closer higher power station on an
inexpensive AM radio.