Old November 29th 04, 08:27 AM
digitania

Default Help - My Lowe HF-225 needs service

I am in need of some assistance... My trusty Lowe HF-225 appears to have
gone bonkers. It appears to be no longer receiving anything outside of the
normal US AM broadcast band with either a longwire antenna connected to the
600-ohm lead or with a loaded antenna on the 50-ohm connector. I do not
have the W-225 option installed. Either antenna connected runs the S-meter
up to about 3-4 but no signals are received on known frequencies above 1.7
MHz (e.g. WWV on 10 MHz) - and the radio does know that there's an antenna
attached, as the S-meter drops to zero with nothing attached.

Occuring more-or-less simultaneously with this problem has been two
occasions when I have turned on the radio and the display has shown "flt".
Turning the radio off and back on returns it to normal tuning - but still no
signals received other than below 1.7 MHz.

I do not have a service manual for this radio, nor do I really have the
ability to diagnose and repair it properly if I did. This radio has served
me well since I purchased it and this is the first major problem I've had.

Unfortunately, a little research on the web indicates that Lowe UK won't do
business with us in the States, and shops such as RadioLabs who have
serviced Lowe radios in the past no longer do so... so I'm hoping that one
of you out there who has a Lowe radio might know someone capable of
diagnosing and repairing it. I'm willing to ship it just about anywhere to
get it repaired - obviously, I'd prefer the US, but will definitely consider
shipping it outside the US should that be necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help!