Old December 1st 04, 05:17 PM
digitania

overloaded here in the states- even when used with gain antennas such as
Yagis. But this can be a problem in EU with the powerful HF broadcast
transmitters. Seem to recall that the HF-150E corrected this potential
problem.

Dale W4OP

Dale,

AFAIK, even for the HF225, Lowe recommended no more than
a 10m wire for an antenna. I've never used my 225
with more than about a 50 ft wire and it certainly
never showed any symptoms of overload, and I think
your point about EU vs US SW environment is well taken.

An earlier poster on this thread cited the WRTH handbook
and pointed out that the synchronous detector on the 125/225
was not single sideband, and that's true as far as it goes.
I have both a 2010 and the Lowe and I find the Lowe to be much
easier to use in crowded bands despite the lack of selectable
sideband - its IF filters work very nicely esp. compared with the 2010's
pathetic stock filters, and its stability and audio quality in SSB
mode make the lack of sideband synch less of an issue.

The HF225 owner's manual recommends a 10-30m long wire antenna if you're
going that way.

Is your 50ft wire just a simple long wire, and do you use a tuner?