Old October 24th 04, 04:20 AM
NN7Kex

Howard wrote:

Hadn't fully looked at that aspect as this antenna is billed as a 1/2
wave not requiring a ground plane. Your memory does serve you
correctly though; the toroids, or a choke balun, would not perform
that function. Those I know who've used this antenna fall in two
camps, with no middle ground, some swear by it and others say it's a
nice antenna to use to mount their 1/4 wave verticals. Can't say from
direct experience though as I've never used one. For verticals I've
only used 1/4 and 5/8 wave antenna's and those have been home brewed
so easily I couldn't bring myself to pay for one.

Thanks for the added perspective Jim,
Howard KE6MAK

Howard- one other perspective-- ' twas at ARRL convention , Many moons
ago, in Seattle (home of AEA , at that time)- They were selling their "NEW"
Isopole sntenna" . One of their bigger selling points was " NO extra radiation
from their antenna And, with a loop, and a # 43 lamp, demonstrated, side by
side with the Ringo Ranger --, and the lamp lite brightly, next to feedline, and
the MAST of it, while NO Light was exhibited from the feed, or mast of the Isopole.
This showed that there was no "Wasted power", Wrongful radiation from the coax
or mast to screw up the antenna pattern, and it was only a short time thereafter
that Cushcraft introduced the model II, with the ground radial on present day
versions! That was their answer to the problem of getting a consistant pattern
from these antennas! NN7K

--
To reply, remove the NOSPAM