Old December 5th 04, 12:02 AM
Volker Tonn

DesignGuy schrieb:

Ok, I'm a little confused here. I thought the carrier frequency of a CW
transmission was where the was *no* tone. Otherwise, how would you know if
they were transmitting on 6999.2 or 7000.8 KHz (assuming zero beat at 7000
KHZ)? Either freq would give you an 800 Hz tone.

Why beeing confused?
CW carrier _is_ "no tone". It's your choice tunig the BFO up or down to
make it listenable.
When listening to CW in LSB or USB mode tunig to "no tone" the SSB
offset is defined on 1.5khz. The 525 is able to switch this offset back
to allways show the carrier frequency. Tuning to "no tone" on the 525 in
CW-mode and the BFO in middle/top position shows you the carrier
frequency. You have to "detune" the radio by 800Hz up or down for having
the "listening tone" of 800Hz on this position. Otherwise you have to
tune the BFO.
IIRC CW decoding is allways done in USB mode technically for
historically reasons. At least the NRD-525 does it this way. Military
and marine SSB transmissions are commonly in USB also below 10Mhz.