Old December 6th 04, 09:37 PM
Larry Loeb

Default In praise of the Degen /KAITO 1101

I've read the thread about someone getting the 1103 and their satisfaction
with it.

While I understand their satisfaction, may I suggest the digital 1101 as a
superior portable? I bought mine from Universal Radio for $55 and am just
pleased as punch with it. Not only do I have memory presets, but it has
rechargeable batteries included. (Most other portables I've seen like the
grundig/tecsun g1000 won't even work on rechargeables.) Not only that, but
it doesn't charge them until you tell it to. No ni-cad memory effect from
trickle charging here!

FWIW, I understand the difference between 20 microvolt sensitivity and .2
like my Satellit 800. I understand what a "real" antenna will do for you.

But, dadgummit, I can use this one very nicely for my routine listening and
not miss SSB at all. I had a Sony s100 portable for the last 15 years until
the audio started motorboating, and got used to this kind of radio being
available to me. Little did I know that I could replace it for less than
what a shop would charge me to diagnose the problem alone.

All in all, I really like this hummer. I am really impressed with the
quality of it as well. Although the plastic stand that pops out to support
it could be better.

And yes, they sell it on ebay if you must.

--Larry Loeb