Old December 18th 04, 07:51 PM
Larry Ozarow

Michael Black wrote:

I think the suggestion about the Superradio is due to many not having
experience with anything better, and there's then an almost knee-jerk reaction
everytime someone asks "what's a good AM/FM broadcast radio".

The Superradio is a fairly traditional single conversion receiver with
a 455KHz IF for AM. I gather they don't even use a ceramic filter in
the AM IF. It can't be all that great. The big thing is that it has
a decent speaker for a portable, and a longer loopstick which may or
may not help reception. It's analog tuned.

The YB400 is double conversion, has digital tuning, and the circuitry intended
for good shortwave reception is used in the AM broadcast band. It has
two IF bandwidths, and it's pretty likely that the ceramic filters used
will provide better skirt selectivity for AM broadcast band reception.

The Superadio has two bandwidths and pretty good adj channel selectivity
using the narrow setting. Also, I can't say for sure, but the YB400
probably doesn't use dual conversion for BCB.

It looked like the OP actually uses his portables as portables, so
that's the main problem he'd have with the Superadio (other than the
dial calibration, of course), since it is a big sucker.

I have never used a YB400, but I do have experience with a number of
"real" MW radios. The only Chinese portable I have is a RS DX399, and
the Superadio is much better at MW, both in terms of weak signal
readability and adj channel selectivity. Also a single set of batteries
lasts eons in the Superadio.