Old October 27th 04, 09:15 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:

Cecil,

In a simple monopole with one inductor, let L1 be the distance from the
base of an antenna to the bottom of the loading coil in meters, L2 the
length of the loading coil, L3 the distance from the top of the loading
coil to the top of the antenna. I is the base current, L the inductance
value and F the frequency. You can assume the antenna is very thin.

Since your theory is so elegant and well developed, and you've had such
an excellent education at Texas A&M, it shouldn't be difficult at all
for you to write a couple of simple equations which give the currents at
the two ends of the coil. In the time-honored methods of science, your
equations can then be tested against modeled and measured results to
prove the validity of your theory.

Sorry, Roy, my theory is not elegant and/or well developed. Equations may
be possible in the future, but not right now. At the present time, the
theory is qualitative, not quantitative. We are out on the edge of what
has been published so far and are in the process of discovery. It is hard
for me to believe that this material hasn't been covered some time, somewhere,
in a Master's thesis or a PhD dissertation or somewhere in the IEEE proceedings.
I regret that I don't have access to such.

The coil has an 'L' and a 'C' and thus can be regarded as a short piece
of transmission line. For a mental picture, consider two pieces of helix
material, side by side, being used as a balanced transmission line. They
would certainly possess a high velocity factor as does a bugcatcher coil.
Here is the equivalent of 1/2 of a typical loaded dipole using horizontal
#16 wire at a height of 24 feet where Z0=138*sqrt(4h/d).

Feedpoint---Z0=600 ohms---x---coil---y---Z0=600 ohms---

The Z0 of the coil is presently unknown but I am working on getting a
ballpark value for it. In any case since Z0=sqrt(L/C), the Z0 of the
reflections at the tip of the antenna, there will also be reflections
at 'x' and 'y', both ways. That situation is pretty complicated but
the result is apparently to put the forward voltage out of phase with
the forward current at the feedpoint. It also apparently puts the reflected
voltage out of phase with the reflected current at the feedpoint. The only
requirement is that Vf+Vr be in phase with If+Ir at the feedpoint. I hope
you can appreciate the complexity of that situation, stop asking for a
"simple equation", and assist us in the apparently complicated solution.

When someone doesn't understand the topic, one asks for a "simple
equation" and when none is forthcoming, one rationalizes that the
new information is not worth knowing. How about working with me
instead of against me on this complicated problem for which neither
one of us has the complete answer (yet)?

P.S. If you had demanded a "simple equation" from Maxwell, you would
have been disappointed also. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp