Old December 19th 04, 02:23 PM
Eric F. Richards

"Richard" wrote:

Like all ham sets, it has filters set for the ham bands and outside those on
RX it is worse. As a basic RX its OK, but you will find something like a
SONY 7600GR will probably be slightly better

I have real trouble imagining this to be true. You're comparing a
table-top transceiver with a purpose-built general coverage receiver
to a pocket portable. Now, ICOM's receivers have often not been
pleasant to listen to music on, but there are exceptions.

IMHO, don't buy that '7600GR just yet, unless you want a walkaround
portable.

73's
Richard SO5GB
"peter berrett" wrote in message

Hi all

I would be interested to hear comments on the suitability or otherwise of
using an Icom IC-751 for short wave listening. I have this set and it has
good coverage. My only concern is that the audio seems a bit limited in
frequency range (ie not much in the way of high frequencies). Many years

ago
I used to own a Realistic Dx-302 which had very good audio

characteristics -
it was a pleasant receiver to listen to a short wave station on.

Are ham rigs like the IC-751 any good for short wave listening?

cheers peter

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,